Do your employees hand in timesheets done in pen and paper? Or do they enter hours into a spreadsheet that gets sent to you at the end of the month? Or maybe you still use a dinosaur of a punch card system?
Are you 110% sure that your employees are being honest and truthful? Is everything tracked accurately? Can you turn employee hours into workable data so you can automatically catch problems like overtime?
If your answer to most of these questions was, “I don’t know!” Or “Yes, we still handle everything by hand and it’s a nightmare,” then it’s time to join the digital era. Investing in a time tracking app can help eliminate almost every single one of these problems and others we haven’t even touched on.
But there’s something else we want to focus on for a second because Forbes found that 89% of employees waste time at work and 57% waste around one hour a day – this costs your business billions of dollars. Why is this important? Because investing in a time tracking app can help eliminate this wage and time theft.
How much does wage and time theft cost?
- Wage theft costs employees in the United States $22 billion a year.
- Time theft costs employers in the United States $11 billion a year.
- Buddy punching costs employers in the United States $373 million a year.
- Accountants report that 92% of their clients have time theft issues and point out that on average, that 5% is added to their gross payroll costs.
Here’s the thing, a time tracking app helps solve most of these problems, especially ones you may not have been aware of. More than 42% of companies in the United States use a time tracking app and that percentage just continues to rise, it makes sense when you look at the data more closely:
- Using an employee time tracking app reduces the payroll process time by 15%-35%.
- Using an employee time tracking app reduces total payroll hours by 10%-22% as budding punching and rounding of hours are curbed.
What are the benefits of using a time tracking app?
The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires all businesses to maintain accurate records of working hours, but it’s up to the owner to choose their timekeeping method. FLSA clearly requires owners to keep documentation for at least two years, and everything must be readily available for government inspection at any time. A work time tracking app keeps all data on hand so you never have to worry that a paper was misplaced or lost.
Error rates are low.
Not all mistakes are totally eliminated but the odds of an error taking place are drastically lower. The IRS reported that 33% of employers make payroll errors. The American Payroll Association reported that these errors range between 1-8% of total payroll.
Everything is automatic.
When everything is automatic, it makes it easier to organize confirming timesheets so you save yourself time and money when you’re not burdened by endless Excel sheets.
Since everything is automatic, all data is processed in real-time. This allows you to automatically see how many hours an employee has worked so if you need additional hours to cover a project, you can see who really needs it.
As soon as an employee clocks in or out, a GPS location stamp is added so you always know where the employee was when clocking in or out for the day. This gives you reassurance that you aren’t paying for “wasted” hours like making a coffee run.
Curb rounding up.
A work time tracking app doesn’t round up even a second when tracking hours worked so you don’t need to worry about a minute being added here and there.
Curb buddy punching.
When using a work time tracking app, it makes it much harder for fellow coworkers to help a friend out by clocking in for them.
React immediately to overtime.
As soon as an employee goes into overtime, you are instantly alerted so the situation can be taken care of. Chances are, the employee simply forgot to clock out, but at least you’re already a step ahead.
Team management improves.
Know exactly how many hours your employees are working so it’s easier to track if an individual or team regularly goes over their capacity. This makes it easier for you to lower the workload to avoid employee burnout and your employees can maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Installing an employee time tracking app helps your business in so many ways but there are multiple solutions to choose from. We searched the market and compiled a list of the top ten best work time tracking apps in 2019.
10 Best Employee Time Tracking Apps for Small Business
Connecteam is the best time tracking app in the market, especially if you have remote and deskless employees, as it does more than just track time. With this app, you can communicate, engage, organize tasks, share documents and more. Employees can clock in and out with a GPS time stamp, request time off, view current and past timesheets, and add notes while on-the-go.
- Hands down the BEST price offering and the only time tracking app that isn’t user-based therefore your business can scale without needing to dish out extra cash whenever you need to add another user.
- Setup time is fast and easy – it’s that easy to get dozens upon dozens of employees up and running before it’s even lunch.
- Dashboard is user friendly and easy to use even if some of your employees aren’t all that “techy”.
- It’s a true all-in-one app. Use Connecteam for virtually anything without needing to integrate multiple solutions.
Price: Starts at $29 per month for up to 200 users.
Free Trial: Yes, there is a free 14 day trial to test out all the features.
Time tracking just got easier
With Connecteam, it’s much easier to track and manage working hours on jobs and projects, improve your payroll process and collaborate with your deskless and remote employees like never before. Start your free 14 day trial to see what Connecteam is all about.
Toggl is a super easy employee time tracking app to use. In a click, you can clock in or pick up where you left – if you forgot to start the timer, the Toggl Button and Desktop Apps will send you a reminder. If tracking in real-time isn’t relevant, enter hours manually or integrate the calendar.
- Toggl can integrate with over 100 apps, like Trello, Slack, Xero, Asana, etc.
- Easily filter reports so you can better understand what’s being worked on and the hours put into each task or project.
Price: The start plan for time tracking costs $10/month/user.
Free Trial: Yes, the first 30 days are free.
With Automatic Time Tracking, Timely records everything you work on and stores it in its Memory Tracker – as a result, it just takes all your recorded work, groups it together and then suggests time entries. So you don’t need to log anything instead Timely details what you did and automatically adds project tags. Check that everything was entered correctly and make changes when needed – the more you edit, the more the time tracking app learns and enters time correctly going forward.
- Timely integrates with tons of apps like Google Forms/Sheets/Docs, Evernote, WordPress, Slack, Wrike, Quickbooks and more.
- Easily track project status via the Project Time Management feature.
- Easily track and see what your employees are working via the Team Time Management feature.
Price: The Growth plan is available at $99/month and includes five users, it costs $20 for every extra user you want to add.
Free Trial: Yes, there is a free 14 day trial.
4. When I Work
Employees can either download the app on their smartphone or create a fixed time clock terminal at the office by adding a dedicated iPad or computer. Easily sync the time clock with the work schedule, and export payroll into platforms like QuickBooks, ADP, and more.
- The user interface is easy to understand and very appealing.
- Available at an affordable price.
- Notifications are sent as reminders to clock in an hour before the shift begins.
Price: The Basic plan charges $1.50/user a month and the Pro plan costs $2.25/ user monthly.
Free Trial: Currently there is no free trial however you can use When I Work for free up to 75 employees.
With Hubstaff’s time tracking app, you can track hours with GPS location, payroll, invoicing, scheduling and more. Hours can be tracked offline as well, and in real time will sync when your phone is back online, so it’s easy to monitor hours when you’re on the road. Integrate Hubstaff with Asana, Trello, Quickbooks, Githug, and more.
- Holiday and time off requests can be requested right from the app.
- Easy to set pay rates for team member or project so that payments are automatically sent based on the hours worked in that pay period.
Price: All the plans are for one user only and starts at $5/month, $10/month or $20/month. Each plan includes different features and functions so be sure to examine which plan meets your business needs.
Free Trial: Yes, there is a free 14 day trial.
It’s easy to invite someone to Avaza in order to track time per project, start and stop the timer when you’re working, and you can copy or import timesheets. In addition, if it’s needed, send invoices, collaborate with your team, manage your schedule and more.
- Super easy to use and navigate.
- Track time with flexible billing and cost rates.
- Get helpful reports that you can share with employees or customers that shows where time is spent.
Price: There is a free plan although this only includes one timesheet manager and up to 10 customers. Paid plans range from $9.95 to $39.95.
Free Trial: There is no free trial however you can start using Avaza for free then upgrade to a paid plan when you’re ready. Note that all features are totally basic in the free plan.
Even if there’s no WiFi or cell coverage, T-Sheets mobile app can still track hours with a GPS time stamp. It’s easy to track, submit and approve time right from the app. Per job, shift or task, T-Sheets makes scheduling and time sheets easy to manage. Send alerts reminding employees to clock in or out and to submit time for payroll.
- Monitoring and location tracking is super easy with the “Who’s Working” feature.
- The Time Clock Kiosk allows employees to clock in from the same device or location – it captures a photo and biometric facial recognition so buddy punching is severely limited.
Price: The “Small Business” plans costs $5 monthly fee for every user (only goes up to 99 users) and scheduling services are available at an additional $1 per user. Also, there is a $20 base fee each month. There is also a free plan for only one user so if you’re self-employed, it’s perfect for you.
Free Trial: Yes, there is a free 14 day trial.
With Harvest, you use the stopwatch to track time as you clock in or out, or enter hours worked manually. Via the timesheets, track time per client, project or task. Harvest is available on both desktop and smartphones. In addition, you can track expenses – just take a photo of the receipt, add details and hit save.
- The employee time tracking app is super easy to use.
- Integrates easily with multiple apps like Trello, Zendesk, Slack, Quickbooks, PayPal and more.
Price: There is a free plan for just one person and the paid plans begin at $12 a month per user.
Free Trial: Yes, there is a free 30 day trial.
“Jibble in or out” when starting and finishing a project or task. Plus, enable the “Selfie” recognition for verification when “Jibbling” from your mobile phone. Use the monthly or weekly timesheets for payroll or the daily timesheets for performance reviews.
- Access Jibble from desktop, mobile, Slack or Microsoft Teams.
- In-depth daily, weekly or monthly alerts that keep you up to date on what’s happening with your employees.
- Set up an i-Pad Kiosk so employees can all clock in from one location.
Price: There is a free plan as well as a power plan that is available for a monthly fee of $2 per user.
Free Trial: There is a free 14 day free trial and requires a minimum of 5 users per month.
With employees constantly on the go and to avoid manual entries, HoursTracker makes it easy to track employee hours and earnings, business expenses, payment periods and breaks. Plus, HoursTracker automatically tracks hours based on whether your employees are arriving or leaving the job location.
- The interface is user-friendly.
- Breaks are automatically added in.
- Easily add comments to time entries and include them when you export the data.
Price: The free plan stores 3 jobs and 21 days of entries. The Personal plan costs $5.99 for up to five jobs or you can purchase the Pro Edition for $9.99.
Free Trial: While there is no free trial, there is a limited free plan.
Time tracking, accurate time tracking, is crucial to your business. And not just the bottom line. When employees know their paycheck is right on the money, they will be much happier and engaged. In turn, productivity goes up as does customer satisfaction while turnover tumbles and all of the nasty issues we raised in our introduction. Finding the right employee time tracking app will do you a world of wonders.
It's easy to track and manage hours with Connecteam
Connecteam’s time clock app has all the right tools for your business. Clock in and out with GPS tracking, request time off, view current and past timesheets, and add notes while on-the-go. Connecteam is so user-friendly that you don’t need any training to get started. Find out more about how Connecteam can save you time and money with its time clock app.Find out more