Managers from any industry and company size will tell you that one of their biggest challenges is delivering effective team management.
What are the common team management challenges? According to Indeed, these can include time management, poor teamwork, difficult employees, lack of communication, understaffed, a weak company culture, low-performance levels, and more.
In addition, the Center for Creative Leadership highlights six core challenges that leaders face around the world, which you can see in the infographic below.
Many managers recognize the role of a team management app to streamline daily processes in a method the younger generation expects and when successfully enhancing the skills of a multigenerational workforce.
The benefits of a team management app cannot be overstated:
- Enhances coordination among team members
- Coordinates daily tasks and workflow
- Collects data in real-time to allow for smarter decision making
- Enhances transparency and accountability
- Boosts internal communication
- Scheduling efficiency
In reality, the benefits of a team management app could run a mile long but you get the point by now.
To save you valuable time, we looked at the best team management apps in the market based on price, ease of use, accessibility, feature set, and more to present you with the 12 top team management apps. Go through each team management app and look through which features will benefit you and your team the most then factor in how easy it is to use if training is needed, the price, and so on in order to make the best decision for your business.
12 Best Team Management Apps
Connecteam is one of the best team management apps in the world as voted by and reviewed by real users on Capterra and more. Thanks to its ease of use, top customer service, robust feature set and affordability, Connecteam leads the way for how a team management app should work.
Below are features that managers have voiced as the key benefits to using Connecteam team management app:
- Keep your team on the same page by starting a group chat, a one-on-one discussion, send real-time push notifications, share updates on company announcements, and more to streamline internal communication
- Enhance your employee scheduling by assigning a schedule that is based on various requirements, include all information such as time, address, or special instructions, and allow your employees to accept and reject shifts, and much more.
- Enhance your payroll process and timesheets with GPS time tracking so when employees clock in and out from their smartphone, their location and timestamp is automatically tagged. Easily approve or reject time-off requests so employees can get notified in real-time if their request was accepted or not.
- Manage reports from the field as they are submitted on the go, like an incident report, COVID-19 daily health declaration report, etc.
- Ensure success for onboarding and ongoing training with direct access to training resources or to learn more about the company with material like the employee handbook, benefits, etc.
- Send surveys, start a live poll, launch a suggestion box, share newsletters, send photos or videos or GIFs to welcome new hires or celebrate personal milestones, and establish an open-door policy to boost employee engagement
Price: When it comes to best team management apps, Connecteam easily comes out on top as it doesn’t charge for each user. Instead, it offers fixed monthly pricing for up to 50 users with plans starting at just $39/month. A free for life plan is also available, sign up for a free 14-day trial to see what this top team management app is all about.
Enhance Team Management With Leading Employee Management App
FunctionFox offers three main products for teams: time and project planning, advanced project management, and internal creative teams. As each product, or solution, has its own offering, the features per solution differ as well. Therefore, be sure to understand your needs before signing up for a plan.
In general, these are the features you can expect on FunctionFox:
- Timesheet with timer
- Estimate and budget tracking
- Detailed reports
- To-do lists
- Blog for internal communication
- Gantt charts
- Job intake forms
- Email alerts
Price: Pricing is set per user, with the most basic feature that is solely for time and project planning costing $5/month/user. Advanced project management will run $10/month/user. And finally, internal creative teams cost $20/month/user. A free demo is available.
ClickUp offers an array of features that are useful for teams, for example to-do lists, project management, spreadsheets, docs and wikis, events, reminders, email and chat, goal tracking, resource management, and more. It boasts of 1,000+ integrations.
The following are ClickUp’s most popular features:
- Create your own views, for example list, board, calendar, doc, activity, etc.
- Build custom “Spaces” so teams can work together with their own Space
- Enhance daily tasks with assign comments, custom notifications, recurring tasks, threaded comments, filter and search, progress percentage, and more
- Set statuses for projects to best understand the status of a task/project at a glance
- Color coordinate statuses to even easier consumption of task management
Price: There are two pricing plans available: free or $9/user/month. A free trial is also available.
Monday.com is a well known project management software solution as it’s super easy to use and has a superb user interface. It allows you to easily plan, track, and manage a project from beginning to end.
Its most popular features include:
- Project management templates
- Due date reminders
- Gantt chart, visual timeline, etc.
- In-depth dashboards and reports
- Customizable code-free automations
- Set a project owner, status, timeline, notes, due date and more
- Integrates with various solutions like Zoo, Gmail, Trello, etc.
Price: Pricing is determined by how many “seats” you need. For example, 5 seats will cost $8/seat/month and that’s for the most basic plan. Whereas, 5 seats would cost $16/seat/month for the pro plan. There is also a free 14-day trial.
Ravetree digs deep and allows you to manage clients, projects, budgets, and more. The software is catered towards executives, managers and teams.
Their most popular features include:
- Project management
- Project and client files
- Resource planning
- Client portals
- Time and expenses management
Price: Ravetree charges per user and has monthly, quarterly and yearly plans. If you need 25 users then you’re looking at $975/month. A free trial is available.
Trello is a well-known software that offers boards, lists, and cards to organize your teams and projects in a user friendly way. Whether it’s for work or managing your personal life, Trello is a top choice.
Common features available on Trello include:
- Rich details on each card such as due date, checklist, attachment, comments, labels, and more
- Workflow automation
- Create boards for different projects, office locations, etc.
- Use templates or build your own
Price: Three plans are available on Trello: free, $12.50/month/user or $17.50/month/user for 20 users.
ProjectManager offers a hub for all things project management. It is a cloud based software that is available on Windows and Mac without a lengthy installation process. The software also integrates with 1,000+ solutions.
Their noteworthy features include:
- Gantt charts, task lists, and Kablan boards
- Set sprint or waterfall projects
- Easily add due dates, comments, files, etc.
- Drag and drop scheduling
- Task management
- Team collaboration
- Team management
- Track time with timesheets
- Real-time dashboard and reports
Price: Three pricing plans exist on ProjectManager, starting at $15/month/user which starts with 5 users, $20/month/user which starts with 10 users, and $25/month/user which starts with 15 users.
Wrike, a cloud-based platform, is a customizable solution that can be tailored to fit your business and team needs. It offers 360 degree visibility for your teams with easy collaboration and automation capabilities. Wrike also integrates with various solutions like Salesforce, Google, GitHub, and more.
The following features are available for Wrike:
- A digital workplace for team discussions and all is available on the cloud
- Real-time updates and reports
- Set team or individual tasks
- Gantt charts
- Task management
- Team management
Price: Plans are available for basic teams, marketing and creative teams, and service delivery teams. There are four pricing plans available: free for 5 users, $9.80/month/user, $24.80/month/user, and an Enterprise plan where you need to contact a representative for further pricing information.
Confluence offers a base for knowledge management, project collaboration, and a modern intranet. It offers multiple templates to make work easier for your teams and projects. Additionally, the software integrates with various solutions like Trello, Slack, Dropbox, and more.
Below is a list of their most popular features:
- Pages on Confluence are documents that allow your teams to create, edit, and discuss whatever is needed
- Spaces contain pages for individuals, teams, and projects
- Advanced search
- Commenting with GIFs, images, etc.
- Real-time editing
- Real-time notifications
- Permission settings
- A personalized feed
- Work blog
Price: All pricing is user based. Four pricing plans are available: free for 10 users, $5/month/user, $10/month/user, and an Enterprise plan.
Lineup is a cloud-based solution that’s known as a powerful talent database for your workers. It allows you to store, organize, and manage all volunteer, SME, or employee data so that it’s easier to get to know your employees. Real-time data collection ensures transparency and actionable information at your fingertips.
The following are features available on Lineup:
- Recruitment process
- Create meetings, workshops and committees
- Internal communication
- Talent and team database
- Forms and surveys
- Employee evaluations
Price: Four pricing plans are available on Lineup: $199/month for 20 users, $399/month for unlimited users, $899/month for unlimited users, and an Enterprise plan.
11. Zoho Workplace
Zoho Workplace is unique as it offers an entire suite that is filled with numerous options that you can choose to build your own platform based on the needs of your team members.
For example, these are the kinds of features that you can pull together:
- File management
- Word processor
- Social intranet
- Online training
- Online meeting
Price: Choose from $4/month/user or $7/month/user. A free 15-day trial is available.
As far as cloud-based productivity software goes, Evernote Business leads the way. Now, you may be familiar with Evernote for it’s a note-taking app but it also offers a productivity solution that allows you to better manage all your projects, workflows, and deadlines.
The following are a list of features available:
- Integrate the solution with many that you use already (Outlook, Slack, Google Drive, etc.)
- Share notes and files
- In sync collaboration
- Onboard staff easily
- Web clipper
- PDF and doc search
- Document scanning
Price: Pricing starts at $14.99/month/user for a minimum of two users. A free trial is available.
Wrapping Up Team Management Apps
Effective team management may not always be the easiest task on your plate, but when done correctly, you, your company and your employees will reap the benefits for years to come.
By implementing a team management app, you constantly have real-time and direct access to your team and projects so that nothing falls through the cracks. Apart from better efficiency, productivity and morale, the time and money saved with a team management app are clearly defined.
#1 Management App
Connecteam is the employee app that connects everything a business needs from field to office, all in one place. In the click of a button, you can connect your staff, manage day-to-day operations, improve employee experience and engagement, and drive your business forward.Start for free