When you’re a small or medium business owner, you know that time tracking is as indispensable as accounting or payroll or human resources. And that’s because time tracking shines a spotlight on the most crucial aspects of your company. You know what your hourly workers need to get paid. You know if you’re actually making money on the work you’re doing or if you’re burning through money. You know if your staff is working at a healthy pace. And the list goes on.
But why is time tracking so difficult to manage? Well, if you’re still using pen and paper to track your activities and the time spent on them, the door is wide open for huge mistakes to happen. If you or your team is not immediately writing down when you clocked in and clocked out, the guess work begins and the chances of error and payroll mistakes are far more likely. That’s why making the switch to a time clock app for small business can help save the day, and every day after.
So, why do you need a time clock app for small business?
- Improve how you work. How much time do you spend on mundane tasks like answering emails? How much time is spent in meetings? You might just be surprised by the results! Once you know how much time is spent on certain tasks, you can better organize your time so you aren’t, in turn, wasting time.
- Regulatory compliance. The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires that businesses keep accurate records of employee working hours, but owners choose their timekeeping method. FLSA requires you keep documentation for at least two years, and it has to be readily available for government inspection. So by using a time clock app, you don’t have to worry about anything getting misplaced or lost, like what you typically encounter with a paper trail.
- It’s all automatic. Everything is automatic and helps organize the process of confirming timesheets, meaning you save time by avoiding piles of Excel sheets.
- Real-time data. At a click, you can see how many hours an employee has worked so if you have a client who wants to know how much they’ll be charged at any given moment, you don’t need to wait days or weeks to provide such information.
- Prevent buddy punching. This is pretty obvious, but when an employee uses a time clock app to clock in and out, it helps to eliminate the likelihood that a coworker can do it for them.
- GPS tracking. A GPS location stamp is tagged whenever an employee clocks in and out so you are always aware of just where they were when they did so. This gives you peace of mind as you know you’re paying for the work the employee did and not for unnecessary detours along the way.
- Quickly react to overtime. The second an employee goes into overtime, you receive an alert so you aren’t wasting time handling the situation. If an employee simply forgot to clock out, you can take care of this straight away so you’re always a step ahead.
- Manage your team better. Easily know how much your employees are working so you can track if individuals, or an entire team, is regularly going over their capacity. Meaning, you can help lower their workload so they don’t burn out. This allows you to create a healthy work-life balance for your employees so that they are, in turn, happier and motivated.
- Avoid rounding up. An app doesn’t round up a single second when tracking how long an employee worked. There is no minute here or there, instead everything is tracked down to the actual second.
- Low error rates. While not all mistakes are eliminated, the likelihood of an error is drastically lower. The IRS reported that 33% of employers make payroll errors, and the American Payroll Association also reported that these types of errors range between 1-8% of total payroll.
- Time off requests. Instantly know who asked for time off so you can approve or reject the request as soon as possible and can create a functioning schedule as a result.
- Add additional information. Whenever an employee clocks in, they have the ability to add additional information when relevant, including the client’s name, the type of job, material usage, etc.
Don’t get stuck in the past, so many companies have already made the switch to a digital time clock – and yes, it is actually a lot easier than you think. But before you rush into choosing a software solution….
These are the key factors to consider when choosing a time clock app for small business. Ask yourself the following:
- How long will it take to implement? Consider if your employees are mobile or sit in front of a desk all day.
- Is the solution easy to use?
- How much time will it take to set up?
- How much are you willing to spend?
- Can you scale and add more to the solution when and if needed?
Why Connecteam is the best time clock app for small business:
Connecteam offers the best long-term solution for small and medium businesses, remote employees and Enterprise. You can communicate, organize tasks, share documents, schedule jobs and so much more. But what features are most impressive about its time clock app?
- Extremely user-friendly. With a sleek interface, employees can easily navigate through the app without the need for training. If you don’t have tech-savvy employees, don’t worry, it’s literally as simple as download and GO.
- Set daily limits. You can set a daily limit on exactly how many hours an employee can work so that way, you can avoid the hassle of overtime. And if an employee forgets to clock out, you can automatically clock them out yourself.
- GPS empowered. Each time an employee clocks in and out, a real-time timestamp and GPS location is tagged. If relevant, employees can also add additional information through tags, such as a job, project, location client, or anything else created in the system.
- Send reminders. Send a push notification to remind employees when it’s time to clock in or clock out.
- Timesheets & payroll. Timesheets on Connecteam are easy to navigate and you can instantly find what’s missing or needs to be fixed. Moving back and forward between an employees’ timesheet is incredibly easy, especially with the in-app chat. Plus, Connecteam has numerous export options that save valuable time, including a Quickbooks Online integration.
- Automatically add unpaid breaks to timesheets. Easily activate breaks so you can automatically lower unpaid time off from your employee timesheets. Once activated, according to the break settings you set up, an unpaid break is deducted from each employee’s daily total hours.
- In-app chat. If you need more information about a shift, you can easily send employees a message directly from the app. Or you can even send the entire team an update. Either way, you always know who read your message and who didn’t.
- In-app directory. Don’t waste time searching for the right work contact, all work contacts are stored on Connecteam. Meaning, you don’t need to save such information on your personal mobile phone. If you can’t remember someone’s name, just search by job role, department, location, etc.
- Scheduling and workflows. You don’t need multiple apps to collaborate and manage your employees. Simply activate the scheduler to schedule shifts, dispatch jobs and collaborate 24/7. Through workflows, you can create checklists and forms to increase compliance and can officially ditch pen & paper for good.
- Affordable. Connecteam is the most affordable time clock app in the market. It is available at a fixed monthly price for up to 200 users so you don’t burn through cash paying per user. Choose from 3 affordable plans, starts at just $29 per month for up to 200 users. If you need more than 200 users, there is an Enterprise plan as well. Start your free 21 day trial today!