Although I’m not an employee engagement manager, I am most definitely an employee. And, over the years, I have filled my fair share of surveys that gauged my level of engagement. Not every company that I worked for had employee engagement managers but the ones that did were ahead of the curve.
With an employee engagement manager, the company is far more dynamic and tactical in their strategies as they work to increase employee engagement.
But before we even dive into an employee engagement manager job description and how they improve employee engagement, it’s important to understand what the benefits of employee engagement are.
And just in case if you didn’t already know, employee engagement has a major impact on your business’ bottom line. So let’s jump right into it…
First off, employee engagement has no connection to employee happiness or satisfaction. Yes, really. Forbes defines employee engagement as “the emotional commitment the employee has to the organization and its goals”. As you can see, it’s not just about whether or not employees are showing up and happily doing their work, it’s about whether employees are genuinely engaged, aligned, and dedicated to the company’s missions, values, and culture.
These are the employees who show up every day and work their tails off because they believe in the company, its product, and what it hopes to achieve.
In fact, Forbes remarks that these are the types of employees who provide “higher service, quality, and productivity, which leads to… higher customer satisfaction, which leads to… increased sales (repeat business and referrals), which leads to… higher levels of profit, which leads to… higher shareholder returns (i.e., stock price)”.
And remember, these kinds of employees are not easy to find and they’re DEFINITELY NOT a dime a dozen.
So, now you may be asking yourself… “Well now that I know what employee engagement is and why it’s important to my company’s bottom line, what can I do to make sure my employees are engaged and how can I ensure this behavior will last into the future?” That’s an easy question to answer. If you don’t have one already, then it’s time to hire an employee engagement manager, and STAT.
One final note here, in order for these employee engagement managers to be able to perform their job as smoothly and efficiently as possible, they can implement the use of an employee engagement software. Employee engagement software makes it super easy for employee engagement managers to oversee, streamline, and digitize every aspect of their role. But we’ll get into that later.
Employee Engagement Manager: Job Description and Goals
An employee engagement manager is really meant to make your life as a business owner a whole lot easier. An employee engagement manager will oversee and manage all aspects of employee engagement and will determine, based on those different activities and data channels, what changes can be made to improve employee engagement within the company. By doing so, they can create a well-thought out strategy that will increase employee engagement, productivity, and work quality.
Some of the tools employee engagement managers use to measure employee engagement include:
- Employee engagement surveys and short pulse surveys
- Employee polls
- An employee suggestion box
- One on one meetings
- Exit interviews
- Stay interviews – before an employee even thinks about quitting
- Employee Net Promoter Score (eNPS)
- Looking into the turnover rate
It’s important to keep in mind that it’s nice to distribute engagement surveys, polls, or receive feedback from employees, but the reality is, your employee engagement manager must ACT upon the feedback and insights given to them by employees.
Their main priority and goal should be to drive engagement and connectivity throughout the organization. Furthermore, the buck doesn’t stop with the employee engagement manager. They should inspire and provide other managers and team leads with the tools and knowledge they need to foster and promote employee engagement within their own departments.
Connecteam: The Best All-in-one Employee Engagement Management Software
How Employee Engagement Managers Actually Increase Engagement
Through tools such as engagement surveys, live polls, one on one meetings, and an employee suggestion box; your employee engagement manager can take the submissions and make insightful conclusions based on actual data. If your employee engagement manager notices that employee engagement is going down or that it can be improved, they should implement the strategy they have created to move forward.
Some of the other ways employee engagement managers can increase engagement include:
- Promote an open-door policy for communication. Employees are increasingly engaged when they feel their voices are heard.
- Actually act on responses from employee engagement surveys. It’s one thing to ask your employees to fill out an engagement survey, but if you’re not making positive changes based on those responses, then you’re just wasting everyone’s time.
- Set up an employee of the month award/recognition program. No, it doesn’t need to be every month, and it certainly shouldn’t be only one employee. This is a chance to showcase and encourage employees to go above and beyond. For example, you can set up different awards for multiple winners. A “best customer service award” or “sales hero award”, are just a couple examples of awards your employees can strive to receive.
- Boost employee camaraderie and engagement by planning a company “fun-day” on the company’s dime. You can also plan team building activities to bolster employee teamwork and trust. These are simple ways to increase employee engagement as they feel more connected to their colleagues and the company.
- Make sure you provide employees with the ability for upward professional mobility. Forbes notes “a person who’s been working in your company for five years has an invaluable emotional attachment to the people, to the brand and to the DNA of the company”. These employees are already engaged and connected to the company and will continue this behavior into the future. In addition, if they are promoted to a managerial position, their positive employee engagement will trickle down to those they lead.
- Celebrate the small things. Gather everyone around to celebrate an employee’s birthday, anniversary, or when an employee finishes their onboarding training. By doing so, you keep employees engaged, connected, and motivated to continue to do and be their best.
- Implement an employee engagement software. This allows you to increase employee engagement through fun and exciting internal communication, surveys, polls, and so much more.
These are just a few of the ways an employee engagement manager will be able to increase employee engagement, but managing all of this can be difficult and a ton of work.
There’s also the neverending loads of piling stacks of paper from surveys and reports. That’s why many companies are now using employee engagement software tools to assist managers in their day-to-day processes to streamline the employee engagement strategy.
Take Advantage Of Employee Engagement Tools and Software
Employee engagement software is becoming a popular solution for transferring all manual and paper processes over to a digital platform. Sending out hundreds of engagement surveys in paper form, collecting these papers, and then deciphering the data is completely outdated and inefficient. And if you’re still doing this by email, the most impersonal form of communication, then your employee engagement will suffer right off the bat. So why put your employee engagement manager at a disadvantage when you can set them up for success with an employee engagement software?
Now, you may be scratching your head at this point wondering, “well what even is employee engagement software and how can our managers use it to increase engagement?”. Great question, exactly what I’m here to explain!
Employee engagement software is used by employee engagement managers to streamline daily processes, increase internal communication, and increase employee engagement. While there are hundreds of different software packages, Connecteam is the best all-in-one employee engagement software for all business sizes and industries.
With the Connecteam employee engagement app, managers can increase engagement with the following tools and features:
- Distribute digital employee engagement surveys through the employee engagement app that can be measured in real-time. Once an employee has finished the survey, management will receive a notification and a report will be made from the responses. And voila, no more large piles of papers or misplaced surveys.
- Encourage employees to take part in a live digital poll. If you’d like you can even keep responses anonymous. Summary reports are available once entries have been submitted and it’s possible to look at individual responses as well.
- A digital suggestion box allows employees to submit feedback to their employers. Management can take suggestions and ensure that their employees’ voices are heard, opinions matter, and actions are taken to improve or change the situation.
- The digital social feed is a great place to display company updates, news, employee of the month awards or any type of employee recognition. This is a simple, fun, and easy way to get employees engaged. Allow employees to like and comment on posts with GIFS, videos, or photos to further increase engagement!
- A digital employee contact list provides managers with full transparency. Now there’s no need for employees to save work numbers in their mobile phones. Everything is stored and saved securely within the app. If the CEO or other employees don’t want their personal information given to all employees, it’s possible to just create details you would like to include.
- A robust internal communication feature allows management to send targeted 1:1 messages or reach a whole team with group messaging. Keep internal communication fun and engaging with GIFS, videos, photos, links, voice messages, and more. You also have the ability to view who has read or not read messages reducing the friction of back and forth inefficient communication.
- Post events on the social feed to invite teams or the whole company to a fun company event. Boost employee engagement, camaraderie, and morale with trust building activities and events.
As you can see, with the Connecteam app, employee engagement managers can now take all paper processes and streamline them into a digital process. Sending employee engagement surveys to every employee is now more time efficient and makes creating insightful reports easier.
The Bottom Line On Employee Engagement Managers…
At the end of the day, it’s up to your employee engagement manager to set up a working strategy that will increase employee engagement. In essence, their job is to find weaknesses and specific reasons for lack of engagement. In order to understand and pinpoint these reasons an employee engagement manager will distribute and analyze engagement surveys, a suggestion box to collect feedback, or live polls to increase communication and engagement.
Lastly, in order for these managers to be working as efficiently and streamlined as possible, you should provide them the tools and software to be able to excel in this position. With an employee engagement software, like Connecteam, all these manual pen and paper processes can now be done directly through the app. Send digital employee engagement surveys to the whole company or just a team and create an exportable, real-time summary report of the responses. Set up live polls to increase employee engagement. You can even create a digital suggestion box for employees to leave feedback directly from their mobile device.
With an employee engagement software, your employee engagement managers can now let the software do most of the heavy lifting and focus on ways to increase and improve employee engagement.
Join Thousands Of Companies That Trust Connecteam To Increase Employee Engagement
14-day free trial, no credit card required