Everyone knows that construction is the “get it done” business. Many industries rely on machines to do most of the work, however, that’s not the case in construction – it’s all about the people and managing them.
Most construction managers recognize that they need a construction software to streamline communication, accountability and transparency – and that’s why so many companies turn to Connecteam. Connecteam helps your construction company be more effective, decreases operational costs, allows for transparency, and even helps you appeal to the best team members, the best managers and more customers.
Connecteam brings you into the digital era so that everything runs quickly, smoothly and more easily. With this, employees and managers are more happy and productive. As such, we spoke to hundreds of construction companies who rely on Connecteam every day to tackle their most common challenges. With all of this information, we created a blog that highlights those challenges and showcases how Connecteam solves each problem.
Challenges construction companies faced before Connecteam:
Safety protocols must be followed
“Whenever a hazard or incident occurs, we struggle to alert all our employees to help prevent the same issue from happening again. We’re playing phone tag or are sending emails – we never know if everyone is updated across the board.”
“Scheduling safety meetings takes a lot of time and isn’t very efficient – we just can’t afford to lose a day.
“Printing paper upon paper of a new safety protocol is tedious and time consuming because we have to get it to multiple job sites and we have no way to track if everyone is aware of the new protocol.”
Reports are endless
“Getting reports from the field creates some chaos, especially if a mistake was made.”
“Management has to act on reports submitted right away but using outdated methods causes a lot of unnecessary stress and just isn’t efficient.”
“We send a bunch of information via email which isn’t the best process but it’s what we’ve got – not knowing who opened an email or even understood all the content is not helpful whatsoever.”
Time tracking is a complicated process
“Time tracking and payroll can eat up my entire day because I’m stuck going through countless paper forms and various Excel sheets.”
“I spend a lot of time calling various employees if I catch a mistake or if they catch one, we can play phone tag all day long.”
Internal communication is a tough task
“I wish I had a better way to communicate with my entire team, but not everyone is in the same location. Even something as simple as letting the team know new uniform arrived or what the holiday schedule is and so on. Sending emails or mass text messages just isn’t efficient especially as it’s important that I know who received and read the message.”
“Sometimes my team can’t reach me right away because I’m neck deep in so many other tasks. By the time I get back to that missed call, it’s already irrelevant.”
Employee engagement is a dream
“We have high employee turnover which greatly affects employee morale and productivity, and without my employees, no job would ever get done. I struggle to find ways to lower turnover and boost engagement.”
How Connecteam helps you tackle common challenges
Making safety and awareness a priority
Safety is a key aspect for construction companies which is why raising awareness and standards is a common goal for construction companies that use Connecteam.
- Quick and easy reporting: employees can send reports straight to the office while out in the field so the relevant officer or supervisor can quickly evaluate and respond in real-time. Like, a safety hazard observation or an incident report.
- Safety digital resources: ensure that all safety protocols, tips and resources are instantly available at all times, along with ‘lessons learned’, incident findings, and periodical safety tips.
- Ongoing safety training: managers and safety officers need to know how each employee is progressing, like with a course or quiz. Plus, they can send a reminder to employees who haven’t finished a required session.
- Safety first communication: easily distribute and communicate safety related updates and protocols in real-time, like incident finding reports, procedural updates or risk factors including rough weather conditions or closed routes.
Daily checklists and reports
Maintaining day-to-day operations involves checklists and reports to help reduce friction from daily activities, automate information flow, and gain better oversight. Common checklists and reports construction companies create on Connecteam include:
- Safety hazard observation
- Incident report
- Vehicle accident report
- Safety inspection form (for supervisors)
- Repair order ticket
- Safety inspection checklist
- Daily Crane inspection
- Expense reimbursement
- Employee performance review
In addition, all entries that are submitted by employees are digitally logged, can be automatically sent to a predefined email address as a PDF copy and can be exported in an Excel sheet.
Communicating with every single employee is crucial but isn’t easy to achieve. With Connecteam’s communication tools, it is much easier to achieve internal communication.
- Chat groups and channels: to streamline day-to-day communication easily and efficiently, chat about the employee of the month, poor weather conditions, the best route to the job site, great customer reviews, and more. Start a one-on-one chat or create specific groups separated by location, department or more.
- Realtime push notifications and updates: send formal and informal announcements, including HR updates, announcements, information distribution, safety reports, employee of the month, birthday wishes and more.
- Employee directory: find the right contact details of coworkers, managers and more. Search by name, job role, department, etc.
Human resource needs
A construction’s HR department uses Connecteam for communication, employee engagement, and to automate processes.
- Recommendations: recommend friends or family for a position at the company to help boost recruitment reach.
- Vacation and sick leave request: employees receive an automatic update if requests were approved or denied.
- Personal information form: on-boarding new hires requires key information like personal information, contact information, emergency contact, documents like tax forms and a photo ID.
- Updating contact information: employees can easily update contact information on the app and HR can see it in real-time – from changes to address, name, phone number, email, bank account information and more.
- Employee satisfaction surveys or performance reviews: HR can use premade templates or can create their own to send surveys and track responses in real-time. Additionally, maintaining performance reviews on a regular basis allows for more accurate feedback.
Construction employees must be compliant and with ‘Read and sign’ forms and periodical refresher training courses, that can be achieved. With Connecteam, documents are logged and automatically sent as a PDF copy to predefined email(s) which may be customized per form. Plus, users can export a summary report whenever necessary.
Read and sign documents include:
- Employee handbook acknowledgment
- Uniform agreement
- Sexual harassment policy
- Incident findings report
- Other read and sign documents.
Company protocols are instantly available:
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Safety and emergency protocols
- Employee handbook
- Code of ethics
- Sexual harassment policy
- Uniform policy
Training all employees
With Connecteam, construction companies can offer training through the app so employees are regularly reached. Additionally, easily track progress and execute training at anytime. Employees enjoy the simplicity of working at their own pace as they can pick up right where they left off at a time most convenient for them.
- Health and safety training
- Sexual harassment training
- Equipment usage and maintenance
- Test and quizzes.
You can also use the training via the app to improve the skills of your “senior” employees on an on-going basis so you can avoid knowledge gaps.
Construction companies are faced with complex scheduling needs but Connecteam makes it easier to manage:
- Assign employees to shifts based on different locations.
- Keeping records of clock in and clock out time and location with GPS stamps.
- Employees can add shift notes and comments for further explanation when necessary.
- Allowing employees to accept and reject shifts (optional – can be disabled).
Connecteam is an all-in-one employee management solution with numerous capabilities to scale your business. And considering its amazing price, it’s an easy choice to make. Start your free plan now and even shoot us a message at [email protected].
Scale your construction business with Connecteam
Connecteam’s construction employee app is the perfect solution for your construction company. Time tracking, job scheduling, multiple communication tools, online mobile-first checklists, forms and reports, and more. Sign up for the free plan now!Start for free