In retail management, scheduling is the most time-consuming and important task to manage, but it comes with many challenges. By optimizing scheduling, you help margins grow especially considering that labor is the largest operating cost in retail.
So what should a retail scheduling app include to ensure you save time and money on creating an employee schedule? For starters, the retail scheduling app should be affordable, easy to use, quick to implement, and should offer robust scheduling features like templates, shift swapping, push notifications, communication, and more.
We looked at the many online retail scheduling software solutions in the market and have compiled a list that includes all the necessary features and then some.
8 Best Retail Scheduling Software Solutions in 2020
Connecteam’s retail scheduling app helps your business save hours on creating schedules, organizes information regarding shifts, reduces labor costs, and gives you the confidence in knowing that your team showed up on time.
- Create a work schedule in minutes: use templates to create schedules in minutes. Copy daily, weekly, or monthly templates. Also, drag and drop shifts on the calendar.
- Efficient team scheduling: set single or team shifts, repeating shifts or open shifts that are up for grabs.
- Detailed shift information: add all information regarding a shift for efficient work including time and place, tasks that should be performed, additional notes, attachments, and more.
- Add shift tasks: set shift related tasks and oversee their execution so you have full clarity on the progress and are notified when tasks are completed.
- Better staff accountability: automatically notify your employees about new shifts, schedule changes, and before their shift starts. Have them approve the shift so they are accountable for their shifts and are notified automatically in case they didn’t do so.
- All in one place: your team can view their schedules, set their availability preferences, request time off, and pick up open shifts. Plus, there is a Google Calander integration so you can share an employee’s schedule, changes, open shifts, and more.
- See the full picture: your planning table shows when employees are unavailable or sick and if your planning exceeds predefined daily or weekly limitations.
- Efficient communication: keep your team in the loop and reach them when needed with shift specific messaging boards, embedded in-app chat, employee directory, and more.
- Quickly handle requests: avoid the hassle of texts or calls. Respond to shift swaps and time-off requests in one app. Your employee is alerted if you accept or decline their request.
- On the go capabilities: everything you need to manage your team’s schedule is available in your back pocket, at any time. Add or edit shifts, swap users, assign tasks, view activity, status changes, and more.
Price: The premium pricing plans offer a fixed monthly fee for up to 200 users with pricing starting at just $29/month. There is also a free for life plan!
Leading Retail Scheduling App
Try a retail scheduling app that makes the entire process from planning to distribution to overseeing execution simple, quick, and intuitive. Simplify your scheduling with advanced features like templates, in-shift tasks, status updates, messaging boards, and more. Start for free now!
In one place, your retail team has real-time access to their schedule. They can manage availability, time offs, events, and even shift swaps. ZoomShift ensures nothing slips through the cracks with its robust scheduling features.
These are some of the features your retail company would benefit from for scheduling with ZoomShift:
- Copy work schedules
- Share schedules via text, push, and email
- Find a shift replacement when someone calls in
- Keep an eye on overtime
- Keep your team updated with event schedules, group chats, and direct messages
- Add supervisor and manager permissions to help respond to time-off requests and make shift changes
Price: The starter plan will cost $2.50/month/active user and the next plan up is $5/month/active user. There is also a free 14-day trial.
Humanity offers data-driven forecasting so that you can create your schedule, this way you can examine specific demand drivers (including sales or foot traffic projections) to effectively create a working schedule. It offers auto-fill to help assign open shifts by reviewing employee availability, skillset, overtime or overlapping shifts, and more.
The following are some top scheduling features available on Humanity:
- Real-time communication about shift changes
- Managers can approve or decline requests (and even from their mobile)
- Intuitive budgeting and customer reports
- Create schedules based on employee availability, skills, and sales trends
- Sync employee data from your HCM platform for optimized monitoring, reporting, and transparency
Price: To begin, Humanity costs $3.5/month/user and there is a $100 minimum. There is a free trial as well.
Deputy is a well-known scheduling and time tracking solution that, for scheduling specifically, offers forecast labor demand, creating error-free schedules, track wage costs, and manage last-minute changes.
Specifically for retail companies, these are their popular scheduling features:
- Sync sales and foot traffic data to better forecast demand over weeks, days, or hours
- Fewer overstaffing and overtime
- Send rosters via web or app
- Shift swapping in a tap
- See real-time attendance like who’s clocked in, running late, or on break
- Schedule the right meal and rest breaks to ensure legal compliance
Price: The Premium plan is the most recommended which costs $4.50/month/user. Although if you just need scheduling, then it’ll cost 2.50/month/user. There is also a free 14-day trial.
ScheduleAnywhere is used by Discount Stores, Convenience Stores, Variety Stores, Supermarkets, E-tailers, and more as it offers quick and easy scheduling. It’s also a scalable solution that grows with you.
A few of their best features include:
- Manage time-off requests
- View availability
- Easy communication
Price: Pricing starts at $25/month for up to 10 users. There is a free 30-day trial.
Sling allows you to optimize staff scheduling, time tracking, and communication in one single solution. And when it comes to scheduling, it doesn’t matter what your business size is, scheduling is done in minutes and it offers robust scheduling features.
For example, these are some of Sling’s scheduling features:
- Manage time off, availability and shift trade requests
- Manage overtime, reduce absenteeism and late arrivals
- Get notified of overlapping shifts or double-booking
- Schedule available shifts
- Allow employees to pick the shifts on a first-come, first-served basis, or approve the applicants yourself
- Create templates for future use
Price: Pricing starts at $2/month/user or there is the Business plan for $4/month/user. There is also a free plan available.
ShiftNote is all about improving retail operations, streamlining team communication, and creating a work schedule much faster.
The following are scheduling features available on ShiftNote:
- Managers and employees can view their schedule anywhere via their mobile phone
- Forecast sales and labor
- Manage overtime and overstaffing
- Send emails or texts about schedule changes
- Employees request shift changes with one another while the manager approves or denies it
- View weekly schedules
- Save templates to use again
Price: Speak with an agent about pricing. There is a free 30-day trial.
Papershift offers easy roster scheduling and planning for shops, supermarkets, and chain stores. Whether it’s scheduling sales assistants, floor managers, or admin, you’re covered. All scheduling is intuitive, based on forecasted demand, and helps reduce labor costs.
The following are Papershift’s most popular scheduling features:
- Self-filling roster
- Automatic warning notifications
- Easy overview of multiple locations, departments, and teams
- Offer fair allocation of hours
Price: Their premium plan costs $7/month/user, some features may cost more to add on per user like payroll or tasks.
The Bottom Line On Retail Scheduling Software
If you’re interested in ideas on how to further engage your retail employees, just read our tips here on how to do just that.
#1 Retail Scheduling App
Save time and effort on planning and oversee execution with Connecteam’s employee scheduling app and its advanced features: templates, in-shift tasks, status updates, messaging boards, and more.Start for free