Stop wasting your time with manual scheduling and focus on what really counts. Check out the best retail scheduling software of 2022.
Table of contents
- Our Top Picks
- What to Look for in a Retail Scheduling Software
- 8 Best Retail Scheduling Software Solutions in 2022
- What is retail scheduling software?
- How does retail scheduling software work?
- Why should I use retail scheduling software?
- How much does retail scheduling software cost?
- The Bottom Line On Retail Scheduling Software
In retail management, scheduling is easily one of the most time-consuming and important tasks to manage. Employee unavailability, vacation and sick days, and overtime limitations can turn employee scheduling into a major headache.
Retail managers who can optimize their scheduling efforts and distribution will boost productivity, improve service and above all, ensure a better bottom line.
Retail scheduling software is the key to streamlining scheduling to ensure every shift is covered while considering requested time off, employee availability, and overtime compliance. All while making your job easier and letting you focus on the important things.
We looked dozens of online retail scheduling software tools and compiled a list of the best software out there.
Our Top Picks
- Connecteam – Best all-in-one retail scheduling software
- ZoomShift – Good for seasonal stores open only part of the year
- Humanity – Good for businesses concerned with minimizing labor costs
What to Look for in a Retail Scheduling Software
If you’re looking for a new retail scheduling solution, there are a number of features to look for that will take it from just okay to fantastic. The best retail scheduling tools include the following features:
- Shift scheduling – templates, drag-and-drop features, open shifts, shift swapping, and PTO requests are all key features that make using a scheduling software easy to use.
- Time tracking – Once the schedule is published there needs to be a way to monitor how many hours each employee worked and to export this information to make payroll a breeze.
- Geofencing – Tracking hours isn’t enough, it’s also important to make sure that employees are only clocking in and out from specified locations to avoid time theft and buddy punching.
- Overtime control – Understand who is working approved overtime and why to save your business on labor costs.
- Communication – Open communication is vital to speak to anyone whether it’s directly to employees, to different departments, or to entire teams at specific locations.
- Affordability – Not all companies can afford thousands of dollars for a retail scheduling software and you shouldn’t have to. Find a software that most importantly fits all of your needs but also won’t break the bank.
Ease of use – The scheduling software should be fairly intuitive and easy for both management and employees to use. If there’s a large learning curve, employees will veer away from using the retail scheduling software.
8 Best Retail Scheduling Software Solutions in 2022
Connecteam’s retail scheduling app helps your business save hours on creating schedules, organizes information regarding shifts, reduces labor costs, and gives you the confidence in knowing that your team showed up on time.
- Create a work schedule in minutes: use templates to create schedules in minutes. Copy daily, weekly, or monthly templates. Also, drag and drop shifts on the calendar.
- Efficient team scheduling: set single or team shifts, repeating shifts, or open shifts that are up for grabs.
- Detailed shift information: add all information regarding a shift for efficient work including time and place, tasks that should be performed, additional notes, attachments, and more.
- Add shift tasks: set shift related tasks and oversee their execution so you have full clarity on the progress and are notified when tasks are completed.
- Better staff accountability: automatically notify your employees about new shifts, schedule changes, and before their shift starts. Have them approve the shift so they are accountable for their shifts and are notified automatically in case they didn’t do so.
- Under one roof: your team can view their schedules, set their availability preferences, request time off, and pick up open shifts. Plus, there is a Google Calander integration so you can share an employee’s schedule, changes, open shifts, and more.
- See the full picture: your planning table shows when employees are unavailable or sick and if your planning exceeds predefined daily or weekly limitations.
- Efficient communication: keep your team in the loop and reach them when needed with shift specific messaging boards, embedded in-app chat, employee directory, and more.
- Quickly handle requests: avoid the hassle of texts or calls. Respond to shift swaps and time-off requests in one app. Your employee is alerted if you accept or decline their request.
- On the go capabilities: everything you need to manage your team’s schedule is available in your back pocket, at any time. Add or edit shifts, swap users, assign tasks, view activity, status changes, and more.
- Easy payroll: with scheduling and timesheets that are consistently kept up-to-date and to the second, you have the gift of worry free payroll (especially with its integration to Quickbooks Online).
Pros and Cons:
Leading Retail Scheduling App
In one place, your retail team has real-time access to their schedule. They can manage availability, time offs, events, and even shift swaps. ZoomShift ensures nothing slips through the cracks with its robust scheduling features.
These are some of the features your retail company would benefit from for scheduling with ZoomShift:
- Copy work schedules
- Share schedules via text, push, and email
- Find a shift replacement when someone calls in
- Keep an eye on overtime
- Keep your team updated with event schedules, group chats, and direct messages
- Add supervisor and manager permissions to help respond to time-off requests and make shift changes
Pros and Cons:
Humanity offers data-driven forecasting so that you can create your schedule, this way you can examine specific demand drivers (including sales or foot traffic projections) to effectively create a working schedule. It offers auto-fill to help assign open shifts by reviewing employee availability, skillset, overtime or overlapping shifts, and more.
The following are some top scheduling features available on Humanity:
- Real-time communication about shift changes
- Managers can approve or decline requests (and even from their mobile)
- Intuitive budgeting and customer reports
- Create schedules based on employee availability, skills, and sales trends
- Sync employee data from your HCM platform for optimized monitoring, reporting, and transparency
Pros and Cons:
Deputy is a well-known scheduling and time tracking solution that, for scheduling specifically, offers forecast labor demand, creating error-free schedules, track wage costs, and manage last-minute changes.
Specifically for retail companies, these are their popular scheduling features:
- Sync sales and foot traffic data to better forecast demand over weeks, days, or hours
- Fewer overstaffing and overtime
- Send rosters via web or app
- Shift swapping in a tap
- See real-time attendance like who’s clocked in, running late, or on break
- Schedule the right meal and rest breaks to ensure legal compliance
Pros and Cons:
ScheduleAnywhere is used by Discount Stores, Convenience Stores, Variety Stores, Supermarkets, E-tailers, and more as it offers quick and easy scheduling. It’s also a scalable solution that grows with you.
A few of their best features include:
- Manage time-off requests
- View availability
- Easy communication
Pros and Cons:
Sling allows you to optimize staff scheduling, time tracking, and communication in one single solution. And when it comes to scheduling, it doesn’t matter what your business size is, scheduling is done in minutes and it offers robust scheduling features.
For example, these are some of Sling’s scheduling features:
- Manage time off, availability and shift trade requests
- Manage overtime, reduce absenteeism and late arrivals
- Get notified of overlapping shifts or double-booking
- Schedule available shifts
- Allow employees to pick the shifts on a first-come, first-served basis, or approve the applicants yourself
- Create templates for future use
Pros and Cons:
The following are scheduling features available on ShiftNote:
- Managers and employees can view their schedule anywhere via their mobile phone
- Forecast sales and labor
- Manage overtime and overstaffing
- Send emails or texts about schedule changes
- Employees request shift changes with one another while the manager approves or denies it
- View weekly schedules
- Save templates to use again
Pros and Cons:
Papershift offers easy roster scheduling and planning for shops, supermarkets, and chain stores. Whether it’s scheduling sales assistants, floor managers, or admin, you’re covered. All scheduling is intuitive, based on forecasted demand, and helps reduce labor costs.
The following are Papershift’s most popular scheduling features:
- Self-filling roster
- Automatic warning notifications
- Easy overview of multiple locations, departments, and teams
- Offer fair allocation of hours
Pros and Cons:
What is retail scheduling software?
Retail scheduling software helps retail stores streamline their shift scheduling. Through the use of smart scheduling, shift templates and automatic forecasting features, retail scheduling software can significantly reduce the time managers need to spend on scheduling tasks.
The best retail employee scheduling apps also include a time clock, geo-tracking to prevent buddy punching, payroll features, and other features to simplify scheduling.
How does retail scheduling software work?
Retail scheduling software allows employees to submit their availability and notifies managers of conflicts in the schedule before publishing. Then once published, all employees are notified of the upcoming schedule and reminded of upcoming shifts.
Retail owners can require geo-tracking (depending on the retail scheduling app) to ensure employees are clocking in and out from a specific store rather than on their way to or from work. As employees clock in and out of work directly from the app, the data can be exported for payroll, eliminating human errors and significantly cutting down on wasted time and overpay.
Why should I use retail scheduling software?
Retail scheduling software is necessary to use to avoid scheduling conflicts and missed shifts, as well as to streamline payroll. Retail employee scheduling apps take into account employee requests for time off and changes in their availability and send notifications to scheduled employees to ensure that everyone will show up for their assigned shifts when you publish a new schedule.
If future conflicts arise, qualified employees can switch shifts with each other with admin approval. If an extra shift comes up, you can create an open shift for any qualified employee to take.
Using an app made specifically for retail schedules simplifies your life a great deal regarding payroll. Since employees can clock in and out through the app, you can export that data to third-party payroll software eliminating human error and saving you from the tedious task of manually inputting employee work hours.
It costs much more not to use an employee scheduling app, it costs hours and hours of your time, money in scheduling errors and payroll hours, and the headache and frustration of creating a retail schedule just to have employees tell you they can’t make their assigned shifts.
How much does retail scheduling software cost?
Retail scheduling software has a wide range depending on the number of employees in your retail business. Prices range from $2/month per user to $15/month per user. These price structures can get very expensive very quickly when you have more than 50 employees.
Even at $2/month per user, at 50 users that’s $100/month. $15/month per user is $1,550/month. Luckily, there are options out there like Connecteam.
Connecteam has all of the features needed to create retail schedules at a very affordable price of $29/month for up to 30 users. There’s even a completely unlimited free version for up to 10 users.
The Bottom Line On Retail Scheduling Software
Through the online retail scheduling software solutions, we listed above, you are able to streamline processes, have happier staff, reduce labor costs, and ensure customer satisfaction. Now that sounds like music to our ears, that and every retail manager out there!
If you’re interested in ideas on how to further engage your retail employees, just read our tips here on how to do just that.
#1 Retail Scheduling App
Save time and effort on planning and oversee execution with Connecteam’s employee scheduling app and its advanced features: templates, in-shift tasks, status updates, messaging boards, and more.