Onboarding Checklist Template
Use our free onboarding checklist for your onboarding process when a new hires begins their first day.
Employee onboarding is the process the company takes to welcome a new employee to the company and its culture. The new hire is also provided tools and information needed to become a productive team member. When employee onboarding is done right, you are more likely to retain the employee and can boost their engagement levels.
While the onboarding process varies from industry to industry and company to company, the objectives are still the same. By going through an onboarding checklist, you can be sure not to miss any crucial tasks. You want to set them up for success, ensure they don’t quit suddenly and keep them engaged – so be sure not to miss any of the processes in our onboarding checklist.
Change some aspects of our onboarding checklist if it isn’t relevant for your company, such as meeting with the CEO. Tailor our free onboarding checklist to ensure you create a smooth onboarding process.
Onboarding Checklist Template
- Welcome! Meet and greet the employee to the rest of the staff, a coffee break in the kitchen or large meeting room should work best.
- Welcome package. A personalized letter from the CEO, employee contract, employee forms, employee handbook, on-boarding plan overview, general information (parking, lunch options, dress code, etc.)
- Desk setup. The station or desk of the new hire should be complete with office supplies (stapler, pencils, pens, paper, etc.), chair, laptop, and phone. Make sure IT set the laptop up and the software needed has been downloaded and all access information has been written down. Set up a time for the new hire to meet with IT to go over security.
- HR meeting. Meet with HR to fill in all necessary forms, go over the code of conduct, explain company policies (sexual harassment, bullying, tardiness, absences, etc.), and to discuss procedures.
- Meet with CEO. Talk about how the company was founded, what the mission statement is, what the company goals are, and to showcase how the new hire fits in.
- Meet with direct manager. Go over hierarchy, relay the job description and responsibilities, set goals for the first 6 months, explain expectations and ask for new hire’s expectations, and discuss the new hire’s career development path.
- Give them a buddy/mentor. Pair up the new hire with a seasoned employee so they always have someone to lean on. They can eat lunch with their buddy, their buddy can introduce them to other employees and should frequently check in to make sure everything is okay. The new hire can ask their buddy any “stupid questions”.
- Daily check in. A daily check in helps clear up confusion and ensures the new hire is on the right track. Ask questions and let the new hire ask you questions as well, keep the balance.
- Schedule introductions with different departments. Set up a time for the new hire to meet with each department.
- Schedule training. Go through what training is needed and when it is to be finished, what readings should be completed and what exercises should be done. Ask the new hire if they need or want any kind of special training.
- Set up a social hour. Whether it’s lunch, a happy hour, a team building exercise, or a company outing, schedule one! This will help to set a fun tone and will help the hire fit into the company culture.
First, Third and Sixth Month
- On-boarding survey. Send a survey to see where the new hire stands, ask them how things are going and where they need help. Find out what they think about the on-boarding process so far.
- Employee progress review. Schedule a one-on-one to discuss the employee’s progress, what their strengths and weaknesses are, if the goals have changed, and so on.
- Schedule relevant training. If the new hire requires additional training, schedule it. Ask them if they want certain training to help them be the best at their job.
- Create social events. Social events helps the employee feel more connected to the company and fellow co-workers.
Go through the New Hire Checklist with our free template
Connecteam: the all-in-one mobile solution for your business
Create a smooth onboarding process and set your employees up for success from day one. Employees can go through the on-boarding steps on their mobile phone and have direct access to training material from any location, at any time.
Connecteam an easy to use and all-in-one mobile solution
A better onboarding and training process
Create a smooth on-boarding process by creating quizzes, dividing course material into chapters or sections, and more. Add existing documents, PDF, media, and web-services, like YouTube, Dropbox, Google Drive or your company website. Employees can pick up where they left and you can track their progress so if an employee doesn’t finish a chapter, you can send them a push notification to remind them to do so.
From any location, at any time, employees have direct access to all the training materials and procedures so they can improve their professional skills all the time. Through the knowledge hub and library, you can easily store the employee handbook, company policies, tips, guidelines, or whatever else is relevant for your business. Employees can access the library whenever they want! Plus, anytime you update the material, like the employee handbook, you only need to do it once and all employees have the most recent version on their mobile phone.
Digital checklists and forms
Choose a pre-made template or start from scratch and take all checklists and forms to digital, such as the employee handbook, onboarding forms, training materials, time-off requests, and more. You don’t need piles of papers and binders, everything is available on the employee’s mobile phone so they can access the checklists and forms at any time.
Streamline internal communication
Keep all employees on the same page and boost engagement through Connecteam’s communication features. Start a one-on-one or group chat where you filter by department, team project, location, etc. Check to see who read your message and send a push notification to anyone who didn’t so you can be sure everyone is aligned. Boost engagement by sharing birthday wishes, the employee of the month, anniversaries, announcements, updates, customer reviews, and so much more.
Connecteam has an in-app directory so it is super easy to find who you need without any hassle. If you are sure what an employee’s name is then simply search by location, department, job title, and more. Plus, you don’t need to add, edit or delete a co-worker’s contact information on your private phone.
Connect all your employees with our employee app
Connecteam is available at a fixed monthly price, starting at just $29 a month, for up to 30 users. Sign up now to enjoy your free plan!