Clockify and Toggl offer many of the same time tracking and team management features, but Clockify is cheaper. Businesses may also want to check out Connecteam for integrated time tracking, team messaging, and more.
Table of contents
A reliable and user-friendly time-tracking app ensures that employees are paid correctly for the hours they work. It also lets managers know when their staff is working and how much time they’re spending on each task. On top of that, a time-tracking app generates error-free timesheets and makes it simple to invoice clients.
Clockify and Toggl are two of the most popular time management apps today. Both offer tools to record time, generate reports, and manage projects. But how are they different—and which is better?
Below, we compare Clockify and Toggl to help you decide which time-tracking software is right for your business.
What is Toggl?
Toggl is a small business software provider with more than 5 million users. The company currently offers three platforms: Track, Plan, and Hire. We’ll focus on Toggl Track, Toggl’s time-tracking software.
Toggl Track offers automatic time recording and tracks how much time employees spend on tasks. It has a user-friendly interface, integrates with more than 100 popular business software platforms, and has features for both freelancers and enterprise-scale companies.
With Toggl Track, project managers can generate reports automatically and make sure projects are staying within budget. They can also create timesheets for running payroll and invoices for billing clients.
Toggl doesn’t include employee monitoring features like screenshot-taking or location tracking in its mobile app. This surveillance-free approach can empower employees, but it also makes it more difficult for managers to prevent time theft.
Toggl key features
- Time tracking: Employees can track time manually or with automations.
- Works on multiple platforms: Toggl can track time via desktop, mobile, and web apps. It can also track time when an employee is offline and sync the data later.
- In-depth reporting: Managers can view time reports for individual employees or entire teams.
- Billing and budgeting: Customize billable rates to create invoices automatically. Toggl also forecasts how much projects will cost.
- Integrations: Toggl integrates with more than 100 business apps, including automation apps like Zapier. Toggl’s time-tracking software also integrates with its calendar.
- User-friendly interface
- Create and send invoices
- Support for automated time tracking
- Tools for project budgeting
- 100+ software integrations
- Doesn’t offer GPS location tracking or screenshots to audit time entries
- Expensive compared to other time-tracking apps
What is Clockify?
Clockify is a widely used time-tracking app. It offers a free plan for unlimited users and premium plans for medium-sized and enterprise-scale businesses.
Clockify enables employees to organize time entries by project, sub-project, and task. Employees can view reports of their own time entries, while managers can review reports for small teams.
In addition to time tracking, Clockify supports attendance and paid time off (PTO) tracking, expense tracking, and work scheduling. Managers can see which employees are available at any time.
Unlike Toggl, Clockify offers some employee surveillance features. While these can be slightly intrusive, they can also be very useful for managers. GPS location tracking enables managers to categorize time by job site, while screenshots of employees’ computers can confirm whether they were actually working on a task.
Clockify key features
- Works on many platforms: Clockify is available for desktop, web, and mobile. It also has a kiosk app, so employees can track time from a shared device.
- GPS location tracking: View employees’ locations when they clock time outside a job site.
- Project tracking: Set billable rates for each employee to ensure projects remain on budget and to invoice customers correctly.
- Work scheduling: Schedule employees to tasks, and see who’s on the clock and who’s available to work.
- Integrations: Clockify integrates with 80+ business software platforms, including project management software like Trello and Asana.
- Time reports for employees and managers
- Track time off and employee attendance
- Supports expense tracking and invoicing
- GPS tracking and screenshots
- 80+ software integrations
- Moderately complex interface for employees
- Modest features for automated time tracking
Clockify vs. Toggl: Detailed Features Comparison
Now that you know a little more about these two time-tracking apps, let’s dive into a detailed comparison of Clockify and Toggl’s features.
With Clockify, employees can start tracking time on a task with just a click or two. They can also assign time to a specific project or sub-project and describe the specific task they’re working on.
The app enables employees to view reports of their time entries, broken down by project, and see their time entries on a calendar. This can help them spot gaps where they may have forgotten to track their time. Staff can also manually edit time entries, and managers can lock time editing if they choose.
Clockify can automatically start tracking time when an employee logs into their device. It can also track how much time employees spend in different apps.
Toggl offers nearly all the same time tracking features as Clockify. Employees can track time on specific projects, view their time entries in a calendar, and edit tracked time manually when needed.
To automate time tracking, Toggl can start and stop time tracking when employees open and close specific apps.
Clockify offers several features that enable managers to monitor employees. For example, the software can take screenshots at regular intervals. Managers can use these to see what an employee was working on while they were clocked in.
Clockify’s mobile time clock app also includes GPS tracking. When employees clock in from the field, Clockify records their clock-in location and displays it on a map.
Toggl doesn’t offer any employee monitoring features.
Clockify and Toggl
Both platforms enable managers to run audits that flag time entries without descriptions or jobs assigned to them. They also flag entries that are suspiciously long or short.
Time audits can be useful for identifying time theft or spotting when an employee forgot to clock out.
Clockify can generate timesheets automatically from employees’ time entries. Your accounting team can export the timesheets to run payroll over any pay period.
Clockify integrates with QuickBooks for seamless payroll.
Toggl also generates timesheets automatically. It integrates with Xero to help simplify your payroll process.
Invoicing and budgeting
Clockify and Toggl
Both platforms enable you to:
- Add and customize billable rates for each employee, groups of employees, or different projects.
- Generate client invoices automatically.
- Customize invoices, so you can add other expenses before sending them off.
- Set budgets for your projects, either through time estimates or dollar amounts.
- Use built-in reporting tools to see whether projects are staying on time and within budget.
- Monitor how much you’re spending with built-in expense tracking.
Reporting and analytics
Clockify and Toggl
The two time-tracking apps have very similar reporting features. You can use them to:
- Break down how much time employees have spent on each project, sub-project, or task over any custom timeframe.
- Monitor project or sub-project costs based on employees’ billable rates.
- Drill down into your data with customizable filters.
Clockify reports can be easily shared with a link. As far as visuals go, Clockify’s project dashboard is somewhat simplistic.
Toggl enables managers to automatically email reports to executives or clients at regular intervals. From a visual standpoint, Toggl’s analytics dashboard is quite colorful.
Scheduling and project management
Clockify offers some tools for scheduling work and keeping projects on track.
A project timeline enables managers to create milestones, which sets up a long-term schedule for big projects. A team scheduling timeline enables managers to assign employees to specific tasks daily. Color coding lets you see which team members are booked and which have availability.
Clockify isn’t a substitute for dedicated shift scheduling software, but these features can be useful for team and project management.
Toggl doesn’t offer any work scheduling tools.
Clockify is available as a web app or browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. It’s also available as a desktop app for Windows, Mac, and Linux and as a mobile app for iOS and Android.
Toggl is available as a web app or browser extension for Chrome and Firefox. It’s also available as a desktop app for Windows and Mac and as a mobile app for iOS and Android.
Toggl doesn’t offer a time kiosk.
Ease of use
Clockify is somewhat complex. Employees click or tap a stopwatch to track time manually, but the software’s menu can be confusing. For managers, it will likely take some time to get used to Clockify’s reports and work scheduling tools.
Toggl, on the other hand, is intuitive. Most employees will be able to find their way around the software immediately, and it takes only a few minutes to set up automated tracking. Managers will also find the reporting tools to be pretty straightforward.
Clockify has 80+ integrations, including Asana, ClickUp, Hubspot, Trello, Salesforce, Slack, and Zapier.
Toggl has 100+ integrations, including most of the same ones as Clockify.
Clockify vs. Toggl: Pricing
Clockify is free for unlimited users, unlimited projects, and unlimited hours. You can generate timesheets and access all of Clockify’s integrations with the free plan.
Clockify paid plans include:
- Basic ($3.99/user/month). Includes project templates, time audits, and break tracking.
- Standard ($5.49/user/month). Includes time off tracking and invoicing.
- Pro ($7.99/user/month). Includes work scheduling, budget forecasting, GPS location tracking, and expense tracking.
- Enterprise ($11.99/user/month). Includes single sign-on and a custom subdomain.
Clockify offers a 7-day free trial.
Toggl also offers a free plan, but only for 5 users. It includes unlimited time tracking and projects, automated tracking, and access to all of Toggl’s integrations.
Toggl paid plans include:
- Starter ($9/user/month). Includes billable rates, sub-projects, and project templates.
- Premium ($18/user/month). Includes time tracking reminders, auditing, budget forecasting, and single sign-on.
Toggl offers a 30-day free trial.
Toggl vs. Clockify: Which is Right for Your Business?
Both platforms are useful for tracking employees’ time, creating timesheets for payroll, monitoring project budgets, and generating invoices for clients.
Toggl’s biggest advantage is its simple user interface. Clockify, on the other hand, has a more complex navigation panel that you might find hard to get used to.
However, Clockify is significantly cheaper than Toggl. Clockify offers a free plan for unlimited users, and its top-tier Enterprise plan is $11.99 per user per month. Meanwhile, Toggl’s free plan supports only five users, and its paid plans start at $9 per user per month.
Clockify also offers more features for your money than Toggl does. It includes a time kiosk, attendance and time off management tools, and work scheduling tools. Plus, Clockify offers GPS location tracking.
Toggl may be the way to go if you’re willing to pay a higher price and want a better user experience. But if you don’t mind trading a slight learning curve for cheaper pricing and more features, Clockify could be a good choice.
However, neither is the best time-tracking app available—that would be Connecteam.
Why You Should Choose Connecteam over Toggl and Clockify
You don’t have to choose between user experience, affordability, and features when picking time-tracking software. With Connecteam, you can have all three, plus so much more.
Connecteam is an all-in-one employee management solution with robust features for tracking time, scheduling work, staying in touch with employees, and more.
With Connecteam’s seamless, easy-to-use time clock app, employees can clock in and out with a single click or tap. Managers can quickly generate timesheets from these time entries to run payroll. Connecteam integrates with Xero and QuickBooks, or you can export the timesheets to whatever payroll solution your business prefers.
You can use Connecteam on the web or on iOS and Android devices. Connecteam can also be used as a time kiosk app, so your employees can clock in from a secure shared device at a central location.
Connecteam’s mobile app is especially great for employees in the field. It uses GPS tracking so managers can see where employees are working in real time throughout the day. If an urgent project comes up, managers can easily find the closest employee to send to the job site.
Additionally, managers can set up geofences around project sites. When employees enter or leave a job site, they’ll get reminders on their mobile devices to clock in or out. And when they’ve finished work for the day, employees can rest easy knowing that Connecteam doesn’t record their location after they’ve clocked out.
Connecteam also offers powerful work scheduling tools. Managers can assign employees to shifts using a simple drag-and-drop timeline. You can add forms, checklists, and other important data to shifts so employees have all the information they need to be ready for work.
Connecteam’s scheduling features also help you remain compliant with all labor laws. Managers can easily track breaks and ensure employees are taking the time they need.
In addition, Connecteam can help your business cut overtime payroll costs. Managers are alerted when employees are scheduled for overtime or when a shift request would put a worker into overtime. When overtime is required, reporting tools help managers distribute it fairly among employees.
Connecteam’s software helps you manage attendance and time off, too. It’s easy to keep track of PTO accruals, sick leave, and more. Plus, managers can easily see when an employee is on leave so they don’t accidentally schedule them to shifts.
Best of all, Connecteam is incredibly affordable. It’s free for life for small businesses with up to 10 users. Paid plans start at just $29 per month for up to 30 users, plus only $0.50 per user after that.
Connecteam offers more than just operations software. It’s an all-in-one work management and HR software app with everything your business needs to run smoothly.
Connecteam key features
- GPS location tracking and geofencing: See where employees are in real time and quickly redeploy them. With geofencing, you can create virtual borders around job sites so employees can only clock in and out from inside that location.
- Notifications and alerts: Employees can receive reminders to clock in and out when they arrive or leave a geofence. They can also get automated shift reminders and notifications of schedule changes.
- Web, mobile, and time kiosk: Employees can clock in and out from anywhere using their mobile devices or web browser. Connecteam also works as a kiosk app, so your team can clock in and out from a single location.
- Attendance and leave management: Keep track of when employees are on leave and how much PTO they accrue during each pay period.
- Overtime management: Connecteam’s software can send you alerts when employees are about to enter overtime, helping you distribute overtime more fairly among workers.
- Automatic timesheets and payroll integration: Generate automatic timesheets from employees’ time entries and run payroll with Connecteam’s QuickBooks and Xero integrations.
- Work scheduling: Create employee schedules with an intuitive drag-and-drop tool.
- In-app chat: Connecteam includes a team messaging app for seamless communication between managers and employees.
- Location-based clock-in and clock-out alerts
- Intuitive drag-and-drop scheduling tool
- Tracks breaks, PTO, attendance, and more
- Detailed reports
- Free for unlimited users
- Can’t add billable rates for each employee yet
Connecteam is the best time-tracking platform. It’s much easier to use than Clockify and offers work scheduling and attendance management features that Toggl lacks. Plus, Connecteam makes payroll a breeze thanks to integrations with Xero and QuickBooks.
Connecteam is also more affordable than both Clockify and Toggl. It offers a free-for-life plan for up to 10 users, and its paid plans start at just $29 per month for up to 30 users.
Try out Connecteam free for 14 days to see how our software can help your business track employees’ time.
🆚 Related Comparisons: