New Employee Orientation Program Checklist
Follow our new employee orientation checklist for a smooth on-boarding process.
Don’t confuse orientation with employee onboarding. Onboarding is a continuous process that starts during the hiring process and finishes once the new hire has settled into their role.
Whereas, orientation is a part of the on-boarding process. It is the actions that a company takes a new hire’s first days in order to help them settle in:
- Complete tasks that are required by law
- Learn about important company policies
- Adjust to the new environment
- Meet their new team members
- Get prepared to begin their job duties and responsibilities
What should you include in the new employee orientation checklist?
A new hire orientation checklist makes it easier on you and your employees to have a great first day. Don’t get bogged down with tedious tasks or let anything slip through the cracks, follow the new hire orientation checklist to ensure a smooth process for both parties.
The new hire orientation checklist includes key forms like the I-9 and W-4. Plus, setting up the new hire’s work area, meeting his/her new team members, and getting situated with IT.
However, the new hire orientation checklist also ensures you don’t forget about the even bigger tasks, such as the people and company culture. This happens with introducing employees to the team, orientation, employee training, and providing a mentor.
New Employee Orientation Checklist Template
- Mandatory forms
- I-9 form
- W-4 form
- Employee contract
- Employee acknowledgement and consent form
- Background check form
- Direct deposit form
- Policy Overview
- Non-disclosure agreement
- Non-compete agreement
- Confidentiality agreement
- Employee handbook
- Procedural steps
- Entering and leaving the building (a security pass or card)
- Placing an order for stationery, IT department, etc.
- Requesting time off (or sick leave)
- Company benefits
- Health and life insurance
- Mobile phone plan
- Company car policy
- Stock options guide
- Performance bonus guide
- Employee wellness program
- Employee uniform (if there is one)
- Dress code policy
- Someone from IT needs to help the new hire(s) with their computer setup.
- They should understand how to use the company tools and software needed for their role.
- Schedule an in-depth training session on IT security guidelines.
- Schedule a product demo if at all relevant.
- Explain how to use the office equipment, such as
- Telephone (internal and external calls)
- Kitchen appliances (like the coffee machine)
- Video conferencing tools
One-on-One with the Manager:
- Discuss the everyday routine
- Regular work times
- Lunch options
- Job duty and responsibilities
- Take them on an office tour
- Show the meeting rooms and explain how to book them
- Show where the building’s emergency exits are located
- Show where they can find stationary
- If they need help, introduce them to the relevant employee(s)
- Their direct manager
- The HR team
- The IT team
- The office manager
- Schedule meetings with colleagues and team leaders from other departments for in an-depth breakdown of how they’ll work together
- Schedule an office gathering to welcome the new hire(s), try a group lunch or after-hours drinks
- Assign a mentor to help the new hire(s) with onboarding and questions for the first six months
Use Connecteam for
all your onboarding needs
Connecteam is your choice for an all-in-one employee management solution. Streamline onboarding, engagement, communication and operational functions in a click, without any hassle. Start your free 14 day trial today.
Choose Connecteam for all your onboarding needs
Create healthy, regular internal communication and employee engagement with Connecteam’s all-in-one employee app. After all, efficient communication allows for better productivity, better engagement, less confusion, and less turnover.
Internal communication creates a sense of community as it is an ongoing dialogue between the employees and the company, regardless of their job role or length in the company. Fostering open communication helps employees feel personal value which directly creates a positive effect on their performance. So make sure you’re sending constant and up-to-date communication to all your employees, no matter how big or small the message. Such as company announcements, updates, birthday wishes, anniversaries, employee of the month, and so on.
Don’t wait for an annual review to learn how your employees feel, instead send regular surveys or have a suggestion box that’s always available to do so. Collect and evaluate what your employees have to say so that you can make necessary changes in order to increase motivation and productivity. Plus, your employees will feel valued as you are acting on what they have to say.
When it comes to on-boarding new hires, it doesn’t have to eat up your time or be costly. Connecteam offers training straight from the app so your employees can complete the on-boarding process at a comfortable pace and interaction is quick and constant. Automate your on-boarding process so it becomes easier to manage and your employees are constantly engaged as you can add existing documents, PDF and media files, and even web-services like YouTube, Dropbox, Google Drive or your company website. Create quizzes to make sure employees understand the content covered.
Divide the training material into chapters or sections and course completion is visual so it’s easy to keep track of the progress. Training is continuous as well so employees can easily pick up right where they left off. Connecteam has a Library feature so that employees can always access material, such as the employee handbook, company policies, catalogs, sales tips, and more. Be sure to send a survey to gage how the on-boarding process is going – whether on a new hire’s new day or a week later, it’s important to know if the process is working.
On-boarding new hires and keeping employees professional and skilled is that much easier with Connecteam, so start your free 14 day trial today.
Start Your Free Trial
A simple, powerful and affordable solution to manage non-desk employees. Try it yourself!Start Your Free Trial