Your retail store must be safe for both employees and customers at all times. It is important to maintain an environment which protects potential customers so that you can avoid costly accidents and even limit liability. When you’re in retail, there are possible threats that cannot be overlooked. Use our retail store safety checklist to make sure you and your employees are risk free.
Retail Store Safety Checklist Template
Parking Lot, Sidewalks & Ramps
- Sufficient lighting
- Surface should have no holes or trash (depending on the season, no leaves or snow)
- Obstructions must be well marked
- All parking areas and travel lanes must be marked
- No Parking emergency areas should be clearly identified
- Cart stalls should be in regular collection.
General Store Conditions
- Automatic doors are functioning properly
- Door mats are in good condition
- Bubble gum machines, toy machines, key machines, etc. are secured and are not in danger of tipping over
- Cash registers, kiddie rides, water coolers, etc. are grounded
- Shelf displays are arranged to avoid tripping hazards, such as boxes, or anything from falling off
- Wall and overhanging displays are secured
- Shopping carts are in good condition, check for loose or bent wheels, sharp edges, etc.
- A defective cart needs to be removed and replaced
- Check for sharp edges, projecting metal bits, loose mats, etc. in all displays, counters and floors.
- Exits must be clearly marked by illuminated signs and must be visible throughout the store
- Non-exits are marked as well
- Emergency lighting in good operational condition.
First Aid & Emergency
- First aid station is clearly marked and has sufficient supplies
- A certified first aid employee is available during every shift
- Emergency numbers clearly presented.
- Electrical equipment and tools are inspected daily and are safely stored
- All stairs and work areas are sufficiently lighted
- Hand and power tools are inspected daily and is safely stored
- Ladders are in good condition and are safety stored
- Broken glass, metal bands, sharp objects must be removed from storage and work areas
- Proper lifting instructions are clearly marked
- Metal conveyors must be properly stored
- Trucks and trailers should be chocked during unloading.
Fire Prevention and Protection
- Sprinkler valves are locked in the open position
- Stock must be kept at a minimum of 18” from the sprinkler heads and heater units
- No smoking signs are clearly posted and are enforced
- Employee smoking areas are designated
- Fire extinguishers must be mounted and accessible, all locations should be identified to employees, and extinguishers should be inspected and tagged on a regular basis
- Employees should be trained to use fire protection equipment, like extinguishers
- Fire extinguisher records must be kept and maintained
- Incinerator or compactor area must be kept free of combustibles and hazardous materials
- Electrical panels need to be accessible and labeled properly
- Extension cord use should be done at a minimum and used only as a temporary measure
- All electrical wiring should be installed in accordance with city codes
- Compressor room must be free of combustibles
- Waste cans should be made of noncombustible material and have the proper covers
- Flammable liquids should be kept in approved containers
- Heat buildup areas should be clear of combustibles, such as heaters, appliances, etc.
Record Keeping & Posters
- State and federal injury records must be maintained
- Copies must be made and kept of a supervisor’s accident and injury reports
- Safety activities should be documented
- Emergency plans for all situations should be made and posted for all employees and managers.
Follow our free template to Close Your Retail Store for the night
Follow our free template to Open Your Retail Store for the day
Connecteam: the all-in-one mobile solution for retail stores
Digital checklists and forms
In a tap, all employees can instantly fill out and send forms: open/close store checklists, technical store issue tickets, maintenance forms, a cash deposit checklist and so much more. Once a form is submitted, admins can instantly inform employees on the progress of each entry through status and note updates. The dashboard makes it simple to understand as everything is neatly organized.
Additionally, employees can access the employee handbook, onboarding forms, training materials, vacation requests, time-off requests and more. Once an admin updates a form, checklist or policy, you need to do so one time and immediately all employees have the updated version on their mobile phone. Start from scratch or choose a pre-made template to get started.
Streamline internal communication
Engage employees and keep everyone on the same page using Connecteam’s communication features. Start a one-on-one or group chat, simply filter by department, project, location, etc. Check who read your message and send a push notification to those who didn’t so you know everyone is aligned. Boost engagement by sending birthday wishes, the employee of the month, anniversaries, announcement, updates, and so much more.
Connecteam also has an in-app directory so you can easily find who you need without any added hassle. If you can’t remember an employee’s name, search by location, department, job title and more. Now you don’t need to add, edit or delete a co-worker’s contact information on your private phone.
Connect all your employees with our employee app
Connecteam is available at a fixed monthly price, starting at just $29 a month, for up to 30 users. Sign up now to enjoy your free plan!