Dress Code Policy Template
Tailor our dress code policy to suit your company’s needs and consider our dress code policy as a starting point for creating your dress code policies.
A section of your employee handbook must include a detailed dress code policy so that your employees know how they should dress while working their scheduled shift.
Regardless of the specific dress code policy enforced (formal, casual, etc.), the following must always be followed by all employees:
- All employees are expected to be well-groomed and to have good hygiene. We will not restrict styles that are dictated by religion or ethnicity.
- All attire must be appropriate for work, do not show up in workout or outdoor activity dresswear.
- All employees are expected to dress professionally, anything that is revealing or inappropriate will not be tolerated.
- All attire should be clean and in good shape, any attire with rips, tears or holes will not be tolerated.
- All employees are required to avoid attire with offensive or inappropriate drawings or sayings.
Review the templates below and use the dress code policy that is most appropriate for your company.
Dress Code Policy Sample Template: Formal Dress
As we regularly meet with executives and most employees hold a high-level position, you are required to wear the highest level of dress when it comes to our dress code policy.
What is formal dress for women?
- Pantsuit or skirt suit that is in a conservative neutral color, like black, navy, or brown.
Note that skirts can never be more than two finger-widths above the knees.
- Tights, preferably in a dark color.
- White, collared button-ups.
- Closed-toe heels that are in a neutral color like taupe, black, grey, or brown.
- Conservative accessories, like diamond studs rather than chandelier earrings.
- Well-groomed hair worn that is styled in a conservative cut, like a bob or soft layers.
- Well-groomed, neutral nails which can be clear coated or beige-toned.
What is formal dress for men?
- A tailored suit (with 1, 2 or 3 button) in solid, neutral colors such as black, gray, or navy.
- Ties and other accessories need to be modest in color and style, such as solid, bright colors or patterned muted neutrals.
Note that novelty ties, like a sports team pattern, are not allowed. Additionally all ties and accessories should be of high-end quality.
- White, collared button-up shirts.
- Shoes need to be closed-toe oxfords in brown or black. Loafers are not allowed.
- Hair should be well-groomed, preferably short.
- Nails must be clipped short and clean.
Dress Code Policy Sample Template: Business Casual
A business casual dress code is when you dress formally, but not too casually. For instance, it is not formal dress and it isn’t casual – we outline exactly what a business casual dress code means for our company.
What is business casual for women?
Women should wear the following in the workplace, however if an item is not on the list, please consult with your direct manager. The manager and HR will make the decision if something should or should not be included in our dress code policy. See below what is and is not allowed:
- Elegant sleeveless shirts and blouses, blazers, vests, turtle necks, dressy tops, sheath or casual dresses.
Note that all dresses should have a length that is below the knee.
- Pencil-cut or knee-length skirts, dress pants (khaki, corduroy, twill, or cotton).
Note that all skirts should have a length that is below the knee.
- Flats, pumps, stilettos, open-toed heels, and closed kitten heels.
- Not allowed: sandals, denim, ripped pants or shirts, spaghetti straps, crop tops, sportswear, leggings, workout clothes, off-the-shoulder shirts or dresses, T-shirts, tennis shoes and hooded sweatshirts.
Note that no item of clothing is allowed inappropriate sayings or drawings.
What is business casual for men?
Men should wear the following items in the workplace. If you are not sure or feel that an item is missing, consult with your direct manager. Afterwards, the direct manager and HR will make a decision if changes to the dress code policy are appropriate. See below what is and is not allowed:
- Short-sleeved button down shirts, button-up or collared shirt, sports coat, sweaters.
Note that the top clothing piece can have all colors and patterns.
- Semi-formal pants, dress slacks, and dark jeans.
- Tie-up shoes, dark leather shoes, and loafers.
- Not allowed: printed shirts, ripped jeans or shirts, denim, sandals, boat shoes, sportswear, T-shirts, tennis shoes, shirts with inappropriate sayings or drawings and hooded sweatshirts.
Dress Code Policy Sample Template: Casual
A casual dress code is pretty lax, most start-ups follow this dress code policy and we do too. However, we outline more precisely what you can and cannot wear under the casual dress code policy.
What is casual dress for women?
- Fitted tops and blouses, however nothing tight or revealing is allowed. Nor is anything with inappropriate images or writings.
- Slacks or skirts in casual fabrics, like cotton.
- Denim is allowed in a dark-wash, however should not tight or revealing. We don’t allow cutoffs, flare or ripped jeans.
- Skirts should be knee-length.
- Open-toed shoes are permitted. However, overly casual shoes, like sneakers or flip-flops, are not allowed.
- Casual accessories of any quantity, like scarves, large rings, bracelets, earrings, and necklaces.
- Hair color, length or style is permitted of any fashion. However, nothing offensive is allowed, such as crude drawings within the hairline.
- Nails in bright colors or patterns.
What is casual dress for men?
- Casual pants and slacks. Additionally, jeans in a dark-wash, straight-cut are allowed.
- Polos with a collar, crew-neck sweaters and pullovers. Colors and patterns are all allowed, however no novelty patterns, like a sports team logo.
- Casual accessories, like brightly colored watches or scarves.
- Shoes, sneakers, and loafers are acceptable and must be clean.
- All hair styles are permitted, however nothing offensive can be cut into the hairline.
Reach all your
employees with Connecteam
Whether your employees are on-the-go or on the same floor, Connecteam offers a solution so all employees have fast, easy access to information, documents and tools that they need to succeed in their daily job roles. So start your free 14 day trial and see how Connecteam can help you do all that and more.
Choose Connecteam, the all-in-one mobile solution
You don’t need to integrate multiple solutions to run your company like a Swiss knife, Connecteam offers it all from one place – this saves you time and money so you can focus on the big picture. With Connecteam, you can on-board new employees, streamline communication, send surveys to gain vital feedback and so much more. With Connecteam, it’s easy to boost productivity, raise employee engagement, and keep everyone on the same page.
Through targeted updates, which you can filter by team, department, location, etc., you can easily send updates and messages to your employees in a click. From important announcements to birthday wishes to highlighting the employee of the month to celebrating work anniversaries, it’s easier than ever to streamline internal communication. Plus, you can track who viewed your message and for those who didn’t, send them a push notification to ensure they get the update.
Additionally, enable or disable social functions, like comments and likes. When you enable the functions, it helps to boost employee engagement and builds comradery. However, sometimes you just need to send a message to align all employees’ and that’s it. With Connecteam, you can do both.
Employee engagement is crucial when it comes to productivity, customer satisfaction and not upping the turnover rate. You need to establish such activity from an employee’s first day, that’s the only way to ensure success and employee happiness!
On a regular basis, you should be gaining feedback from your employees in order to truly understand their concerns and satisfaction levels. With Connecteam, it’s easy to send a survey after a meeting, company event, on-boarding, etc. And it’s important to act on the feedback your employees provide as they will in turn feel valued and heard when they know their feedback is taken seriously. Connecteam also allows you to utilize a suggestion box on any matter so employees can send their ideas at any time.
Plus, this kind of “two-way” conversation helps build employee loyalty to the company and its goals. Customize the app to reflect your company culture and needs to build the perfect experience for all your employees.
Simplify on-boarding and develop professional skills on-the-go
On-boarding and providing continuous training is easy to master on Connecteam. Automating on-boarding and training allows for quick interaction and enables users to complete courses at their own pace as they can pick up where they left off. As an admin on Connecteam, you can divide the material into sections or chapters and all progress is visual so you and your employees can monitor progress.
Add existing documents, PDF and media files, and web-services (YouTube, Dropbox, Google Drive or your company website). Create quizzes to ensure your employees understood the content covered. Connecteam’s library feature allows you to create a knowledge hub for all your employees, it’s always accessible so employees can refer to material at any time, such as the employee handbook, company policies, catalogs and menus, sales tips, and more.
Start your free 14 day trial now and see why over 6,000 choose Connecteam for all their communication, engagement and training needs.
Start Your Free Trial
A simple, powerful and affordable solution to manage non-desk employees. Try it yourself!Start Your Free Trial